10/19/2009

ROC Weaver's

In August I joined the Rochester Weaver's Guild to keep my fiber practices up while teaching. They have enjoyed the fresh breath of air my presence brings (the average guild member age is around 60) and I am grateful for the skills and wisdom these wonderful women, and some great guys, bring. This month the guild hosted a talk and workshop with Nancy Moore Bess on bamboo in Japanese culture. She is an amazing contemporary basket weaver and a funny, down to earth speaker.

Here is one of my favorite pieces by Nancy below:



Animistic Spirit • waxed cotton, persimmon tannin, acrylic paint • 9"x 20"x 7"

Just another wonderful resource I found around me! Hopefully I can post info on classes I will be teaching this Spring through the guild's Weaving and Fiber Arts Center at Village Gate soon. I'm thinking oxidation printing on silk, soft sculpture and ikat. Until next Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment