1/18/2010

Craftivism for Haiti


I have never been to Haiti, but I have a special place for Haiti in my heart. During my time in art school I took a Folk Art History course where I saw images of Haitian Vodou art for the first time. The gorgeous altars dedicated to various orisha, the sequin encrusted flags moving in the wind and the lovingly wrapped medicine objects I saw in those slides influenced my future work deeply. This summer I was able to see examples in person, in Washington DC at the Museum of African Art. It was a truly magical experience. To see work from the poorest country in the west so rich with spiritual devotion and power, surpassed visits to the Louvre and the Met.

Through January 31th 25% of my sales on Etsy will go to aid relief in Haiti. On the ROC Etsy Street Team blog I have posted ways that the Etsy community can help, here. Please keep Haiti in your thoughts in their time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment