2/15/2010

Happy Lundi Gras

Tomorrow is New Orlean's quintessential celebration Mardi Gras, but the party started several days ago with parades, music and awesome food. Monday (Lunae in Latin) is Lundi Gras. I have had the opportunity to join in the Mardi Gras revelry twice, before and after Hurricane Katrina. There's nothing else like it and for someone who has a fetish for glitter, beads and public imbibing it's heaven on earth.


BUT...I can't make it this year so I am celebrating in crafty ways up north. I found this great little orange travel case at a thrift store and gutted it to created a Mardi Gras memory box. I tore out the old lining and used it as a pattern to cut out new fabric. I allowed some extra fabric to fold over for clean edges and pad with stuffing. It has plenty of space for photos, post cards, beads, throws and my very special Muse shoe (a highly coveted throw from the all female Muses krew parade).



For those of you who still have your Christmas trees up, like me, you can decorate it for Mardi Gras as well. Just string it with beads, cups, throws and masks and invite some friends over for an Abita Mardi Gras bock and Zataran's.


Now, sit under a sunlamp, have a willing buddy hold a blow dryer by your face and close your eyes...then maybe, just for a moment you will have Mardi Gras in Rochester, NY or wherever you face the February chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment