3/01/2010

Strange Curiosities

With Tim Burton's interpretation of Alice in Wonderland opening in theaters this weekend I have been drawn to odd objects. I love things that, as Alice would describe, are "curiouser and curiouser". Extreme Craft (a blog that is: "a compendium of art masquerading as craft, craft masquerading as art & craft extending its middle finger". Love it!) directed me to FOLK OBJECT, a Tumblr gallery curated by Clifton Burt. So what is this? Garth Johnson, of Extreme Craft describes it better than me, so I will quote him:


"Folk Object is a Clifton-curated Tumblr reliquary for..well...folk objects. As he should, Clifton takes a broad view of what constitutes "folk". On the Folk Object site, you've got your curious expressions of nationalist craft rubbing shoulders with album covers, high fashion and distillations of "folk" sensibility that range from psychedelic to dollar store. Academically trained artists rub shoulders with craftspeople, designers and business people. It's up to you, the viewer to juxtapose everything and sort it all out."

FOLK OBJECT hit my kitsch switch, grabbing that piece of my creative soul that makes me buy weird mugs at thrift stores and save foreign candy wrappers. Wherever the inspiration is for your work, find it, but this is where mine is. I thought I'd share some recent acquisitions of mine in this genre of the strange mundane. Enjoy!

Royal salt and pepper shakers found at Goodwill for 99 cents.

A delicious chocolate bumblebee from the Madelaine Chocolate Company, but wait...

A seemingly innocent candy wrapper that when opened reveals a psycho bunny ready to brainwash!

A whimsical (but headless!) clown...on a bike...on a mug. Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment