4/25/2010

The Dark Side of Public Art

When I moved back to Rochester in 2008 I wanted to somehow align myself with the local Art community. A small public project in the South Wedge presented itself, next to one of my favorite bars, Lux, painting tables in a community garden. I figured I could paint in the summer sun, meet some other local artists and get free food and drink for a few days. Two of those things were true, but most days I was the only artist working. Did the other guys have special night vision, who knows? However everything was finished the next time I visited the South Wedge.



2008

Every once in awhile I checked in on the table, usually at night, usually after imbibing at Lux. It always looked pretty good... in the dark. Last Friday I decided to document the table for this blog. I thought maybe it would have some carving, a little grafitti, possibly a bum sleeping under it, but overall still be in good shape. Alas! My dear deer table succumbed to the elements. She is peeling like a bad sunburn and in need of a washing. No amount of shellac could withstand the snow, rain, and wind of Rochester.



2010 with very sad artist (me) Carol Traynor

The moral of this story is that Art is temporal. It's even more temporal when you leave it outside in Upstate NY and neglect it for two years. Hopefully this summer I can contact the group in charge of the project and shine my poor baby back up. Until then I repeat the mantra...this gives it character, this gives it character, this give it character.

No comments:

Post a Comment