5/02/2010

Mayday! Underground Review

This past Saturday I participated in my largest show to date, the Mayday! Underground Craft + Art Market . The best part is that it was created and organized by Amanda Preske and Casey Wright (a.k.a. Beadwork by Amanda and Peaches Products) fellow members of the ROC Etsy Street Team. They'd "had enough of the boring shows" in their pasts and wanted to create a large scale art market with indie and DIY sensibilities on par with second storie and other national shows. They gathered talented and diverse artists from the surrounding regions, some local music and made an impressive first event.






The space for this year's event was the basement floor of a huge brick building on St. Paul Street, across from the Genessee Brewing Company. It stayed nice and cool inside on an unusually warm day for May in Rochester. I loved the exposed brick and painted pipes wandering across the ceiling. It fit the audience we were trying to reach and left a lot of space for the vendors and shoppers to wander and enjoy.


For this show I stuck with upcycled goods crafted from vintage materials and vintage inspired ACEO's. The cocktail napkin coaster sets were a particular crowd pleaser. I reached my sales profit goal, met many wonderful people and learned a lot about putting on a show from the seasoned tables around me. I have so many ideas for future markets. Here's to the first year of Mayday and many others hopefully to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment