12/20/2010

Collecting Naive Art

I've got beef with Western art. Western art is at once open to everyone and everything and shut off to everyone but a select few. In my 5 years at a top art school, my ideas of what good art was flip flopped on a weekly basis, and I'm not quite sure now if what I've acquired is refined taste or judgmental snobbery. As I have moved away from it in years I am more and more aesthetically drawn to art that has nothing to do with good (ie. trained or educated) art per se.

Maybe I am looking for a sense of purity and unselfconscious moments of brilliance and absurdity. There are great places offering a look into these bodies of art, inc
luding MOBA and AVAM . BUT today I found great inspiration cleaning out the old portfolios left behind in the art storage room at the high school where I teach. Several renderings from teenagers, 1984 - 92, left me amazed with their strangeness, so I am making a little Naive Art collection in my studio space (cough, cough...corner) in my apartment. Whoever these wonderful young people (now adults) are, thank you for the creativity you left behind!


This is so freaky...my cat is actually just sitting on my craft table...staring at it

Pouring a little ketchup on a ...carrot dog? Actually you can get these at the Fairport Farmer's market and their great!

Eighties self portrait attack!!!!

Can you find Chuck Norris?

1 comment:

  1. Nice Studio! (You know you really want a carrot dog)

    ReplyDelete