4/17/2012

6x6x2012

One of my favorite exhibitions in Rochester, NY is right around the corner.The Rochester Contemporary Art Center's annual 6x6x2012 exhibition will open on June 2nd and feature thousands of works by amateurs and professionals, big names and no names, in all mediums,so long as they meet the requirements of being six inches by six inches.

Limitations encourage creativity and I never get bored by the results of this show. Multiple visits always turn up new things I missed.

 
This year my fiance and I decided on a collaborative piece using crayons as our medium. He works for Crayola and I'm an art teacher so exploring something different with such a familiar material was refreshing. There is an abundance of melted crayon art on canvas going around, none of it exciting to us, so we decided to use the crayons themselves as the final object.


We discovered that 18 crayons, lined up in a row measured exactly 6 inches.


We played around with some color studies on 18x18 pixel files in Photoshop. Much of our studies were inspired by an old book on color theorist, Joseph Alber's, stained glass work.


In the end we chose an overlaid composition of all of our studies.We completed the piece row by row, carefully matching (as best we could) the colors along the way.


The finished block has some nice heft to it. I sort of like it from the back and the front and the border of wrappers outlining the edges like a frame.




The total work contains 324 crayons. I want to pick it up and use it as a giant mark making tool! Check it out the 6x6x2012 exhibition June 2nd -July 16th!

5 comments:

  1. this is AMAZING!!! Extremely creative, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! The simplest ideas are always the best. Thanks for letting us in on how you got the idea. I love to see "into" the creative process. Hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelley. I miss all my RNEST peeps :) I hope they can hang this sucker! He's heavy.

    ReplyDelete